Monday, April 19, 2010

Lessons, Continued

After a quick discussion of the basics, like which end of the horse was the front (I knew that), I climbed up the little step ladder and put my leg over this creature and plopped myself in the saddle. Not too gracefully, I might add. It should be mentioned here that school horses -- the horses that get used in lessons -- are generally wise old souls that are incredibly tolerant, patient and trustworthy.

Riding instructors can put beginners on them and not have to worry (hopefully) that they will get dumped off, bucked off or thrown off. These horses often just learn to ignore you, because you are asking them to do things that you do not even know you are asking. They somehow seem to know you are an idiot and that they must be in charge of taking care of you.

I had one of these wonderful creatures. His name was Dude. I fell in love with him immediately, of course. In real years he was not that old, but he must have been a very wise old man in spirit. Just sitting on him made me feel as if I were six years old again. I wanted to giggle with delight. I probably did. You are way up high, sitting on a horse. You feel majestic, powerful and special. It is the most marvelous feeling in the world.

Then, he walks...you feel the muscles move underneath you. You get a little giddy. Was I afraid? Not a bit. I trusted him; I trusted my instructor. Oh, the joy of ignorance. In that moment I was home. I was free. I was just totally present in the Now. I could die happy.

Except, I wanted more! That first day, I think, we just walked around in circles in the indoor arena. Not too challenging, but it gave me the feel of being on a horse. I couldn't wait for my next lesson. It was time to get off. Hmmm...

Getting on was not so difficult. You had gravity working with you. Get one leg over and then down you go. Going in reverse was a conundrum to me. How do I get off??

For people who ride as kids, it comes very naturally, even if you don't ride for thirty years. Your body remembers what to do. For us older adults, who have no body memory of this action, it comes hard. At least, it sure did for me. I had to be talked through it: shift your weight into your left stirrup; lean forward; swing your right leg up over the back of the horse; keeping your weight in your left stirrup, step down to the ground. Oh, sure.

Embarrassing? Yes.

Enough to keep me from doing it again? No.

No comments:

Post a Comment